The LIC’s Linked Accidental Death Benefit Rider (UIN: 512A211V02) is an add-on rider over the base plan that provides additional benefits to the beneficiary. This rider is only applicable when the policyholder suffers demise due to an accident provided that the policy is active and the death is caused within the policy term.
There are several terms and conditions, along with the dependence over respective plans that are further characterized in the article.
The rider even though it is an add-on comes with benefits of its own. They are:
- Death benefit- In the event of death of the policyholder due to an accident, while the policy is in force, he or she shall be paid an additional sum assured over the basic sum assured provided that the claim is made within 180 days of the occurrence.
Conditions and Restrictions:
The Accidental Death benefit Rider has several key restrictions that need to be taken into account if the nominee wants his or her extra amount that will be payable by the company.
The rider will not be applicable under the following conditions:
- The individual should be over 18 years of age.
- The rider can be opted for at any policy anniversary provided that it falls under the policy term and the policyholder is near about 65 years and the rider has survived five years within the policy term. The amount subject to the rider will be provided on the date of Maturity or on the policy anniversary where the policyholder should be around 70 years.
- Accidental Death Benefit charges will be deducted (a) during the policy term and (b) till the anniversary of the policy where the policyholder should be around 70 years.
- The policyholder has the freedom to cancel the rider anytime during the policy term however once cancelled, it cannot be re-opted.
Maximum Aggregate limit
The maximum aggregate limit of the accidental benefit rider will be depending upon the plans. They are furthered described below:
- LIC Jeevan Shiromani with minim basic sum assured of rs. 100 lakh– the maximum aggregate limit concerning accidental death benefit rider will not exceed more than Rs. 200 lakh under individual policies. In the event of more than one policy, wherein the total sum assured amount exceeds Rs. 200 lakh, then the benefits will apply to the first Rs. 200 lakh in the chronology of the policies.
- Other Plans- The maximum aggregate limit of assurance under all individual or group policies shall not be more than Rs. 100 lakh. If there is more than one policy, that exceeds Rs. 100 lakh, then the benefits will apply to the first Rs. 100 lakh chronological to the policies.
Accidental benefit charge:
A level of annual charge shall be at the rate of Rs. 0.40/1000 the accidental benefit rider. If the assured is in a police organization or paramilitary forces or the same then the charge is Rs. 0.80/1000. You can checkout other LIC Policies as well.
In some cases, the accidental benefit rider will not be applicable, they are as follows:
- If the injury is caused by self-harm, attempted suicide, insanity or immorality, or under the influence of alcohol or any other substance.
- If the injury is caused by part-taking in riots, violent activities, civil commotion, rebellion, war, sports, or invasion.
- Result of part-taking in any criminal activity or with criminal intent.
- Result of being in the military, or under police duty.
Termination of the rider
The rider will be terminated when:
- The policyholder dies
- The date of expiry of the rider
- The termination of the base policy
- On free-look cancellation of the rider
Documents to file a claim
The documents required to file a claim on the Accidental benefit rider are:
- A copy of FIR
- A copy of the police inquest report
- Copy of panchanama
- Post mortem report
- Newspaper cuttings as the proof of accident
- Copy of the assured’s driving license is death is due to accident in the vehicle.
- Sub-divisional magistrate’s final verdict over the death
- If death is due to animal harm, then affidavit or eyewitness or physician reports
- Medical records
- Death certificate within 90 days. If there is a delay, a genuine reason should be provided
- Will the rider provide me money if I don’t pay premiums?
If premiums are unpaid, the rider will cease.
- What is the grace period of this rider?
The grace period is as same as the base policy.
- How much sum assured will I get on maturity?
This rider does not apply to maturity. Only on the death benefit.
- What is the surrender value as per this rider?
There is no surrender value as per this policy.
- What tax benefits do I get under this rider?
Statutory taxes imposed by the government of india will be applicable under the tax laws. Section 45 of the insurance act 1938 applies